[Lusaka, 14 December 2023] — The CSR Network Zambia is pleased to announce the successful hosting of the Stakeholder Engagement Workshop under the theme “Exploring Strategies for Building Effective Climate Action Interventions” which took place on December 13, 2023, at Sarovar Hotel and was sponsored by JTI Leaf Zambia.
The event saw a gathering of sixty participants, bringing together diverse stakeholders united by a shared goal: to protect the environment through collaborative and innovative initiatives.
Moderated by CSR Network Zambia, the workshop was officiated by a representative from the Ministry of Green Economy and Environment, Mr. Victor Chiba who was accompanied by several ministry officials. Ms. Nachilala Nkombo, the Country Director of WWF Zambia, and her team also graced the occasion.
The Ministry of Green Economy and Environment expressed happiness with the private sector’s keen interest in participating in the AFR100 project. Insights were shared on the Ministry’s efforts to identify degraded or deforested land in consultation with chiefs and collaborators like WWF Zambia.
WWF Zambia provided an update on the AFR100 project, focusing on the mapping exercise and the ROAM (Restoration Opportunities Assessment Methodology) approach. The next steps for the project were outlined, emphasizing the collaborative efforts required for successful implementation.
The workshop’s primary objective was to explore practical solutions for immediate adoption by those interested in engaging in Forest and Landscape Restoration (FLR) activities as part of the AFR100 initiative. Knowledge was shared, and various providers showcased available solutions:
- Trees for Zambia: Growing a nursery of indigenous plants.
- ZAFFICO: Outgrower scheme and distribution of seedlings (pine and eucalyptus).
- Solidaridad: Distribution of plant seedlings.
- ODI Cooperative: Active in apiculture, highlighting the importance of trees for honey production and as an alternative livelihood.
- Lutewa Farms: Avocado nursery, marketing hass avocados as green gold.
- Chilengedwe: Focus on environmental education and planned initiatives with a taxi-hailing company to extend environmental education.
- Plant-A-Million Zambia: Distribution of a variety of seedlings in communities and schools, in partnership with organizations like ABSA, SES, among many.
It is the sincere desire of CSR Network Zambia that these engagements continue, moving towards the next step of implementation starting from January 2024.
We extend heartfelt gratitude to all the organizations that participated. Their presence added immense value to the discussions and we appreciate their commitment to continue exploring collaborative opportunities for the AFR100 initiative.
For further information, please contact:
CSR Network Zambia
Plot No. 24 Lechwe Park
Joel Kapilikishya Road
Ibex Hill, Lusaka.
Tel: +260 977 843926
JTI Leaf Zambia
Plot 16806 Trinity Office Park
Alick Nkhata Road
Massmedia Area, Lusaka.
Tel: 260 211 375004